Rudding Park is situated close to the spa town of Harrogate in North Yorkshire, England. Since it was first acquired by the Mackaness family in 1972 a consistent programme of development and investment has transformed 2,000 acres of outstanding Yorkshire countryside and a magnificent, Grade 1 listed country house into an unrivalled hotel, spa, golf and conference resort.
Steeped in history and tradition spanning over two centuries, Rudding Park has maintained its timeless qualities of style and elegance throughout the ages. Whilst never forgetting its past, Rudding Park has moved with the times to accommodate
the evolving social, environmental and commercial climate
Little is known about the early days although in 1788 Lord Loughborough took over ownership of the original house and later commissioned the renowned landscape designer, Repton.
In 1805 the estate was purchased by the Hon. William Gordon. He began construction of the present House but nineteen years later, when Rudding Park passed into the hands of Sir Joseph Radcliffe, the building was still unfinished. The Yorkshire architect R.D. Chantrell was brought in to complete the work.
The family’s links with the Catholic faith were strengthened when a Gothic revival Chapel, designed by the London architect A.E. Purdie, was completed in 1879. The fine stone carvings in the Chapel were the work of Italian stonemasons. The Bill of Quantities shows that the Chapel was built for a mere £4,976-16s-3d.
In 1972 the Mackaness family, who remain the owners today, acquired the House and its 2,000 acre estate. The Mackaness family have lived and farmed in Northamptonshire for more than 600 years and this tradition continues today at Rudding Park.
The entire estate has been significantly improved with a major programme of investment to upgrade the agricultural land and traditional estate properties. The blueprint for the leisure developments was prepared in 1973 and the first stage was implemented with the opening of Rudding Holiday Park which quickly established itself as one of the finest in the North of England. In 1987 Rudding Park House was opened as a conference and banqueting centre.
The 18 hole golf course was opened in 1995, a development which was followed two years later by a 50 bedroom Hotel adjoining the House, making Rudding Park Yorkshire’s premier hotel and golf resort. The hotel, with the contemporary Clocktower restaurant, has gone from strength to strength winning many national and international awards and was voted TripAdvisor’s ‘Best UK Hotel’ in 2010 and 2011. Clocktower is renowned for its Yorkshire menu and excellent service.
In 2006 the innovative Repton Short Course was opened, introducing a new golf concept 'Golf in One Hour'. This is a par 3 course of 6 holes built to the highest possible standards and featuring a replica of the 17th hole at Sawgrass in Florida.
An extension completed in December 2010 brings the total number of hotel bedrooms at Rudding Park to 90. A spa, gym and a 14 seat private cinema have also been added. The 48 new bedrooms are at least 20 per cent larger than our current rooms. Many have private terraces or balconies and our four new spa rooms have their own ensuite steam room,
spa bath or sauna.
The Spa consists of four treatment rooms, including hammam and a steam room. It offers a wide selection of treatments for men and women, using some of the world’s finest product ranges. From facials to massages, Hammam scrubs to manicures, there are many ways to relax and re-energise.